Basic Barbell is this Saturday from 10:30 – 12:30 p.m. Who should take Basic Barbell?
1. You’ve just passed the Level 2 Test. Completing Basic Barbell is the final step in becoming a proper Level 2.
2. You wanna get swole for the summer and take part in Coach John’s Pure Strength class. There is a lot of barbell work in this class, and you must know the basics to safely progress in the program. Pure Strength classes are from 7 to 9 p.m. on Monday and Thursday nights and are included in your functional fitness membership!
3. You’re currently a Level 0/1 and want to get familiar with the barbell.
4. You want to refresh yourself on barbell skills.
You can use the skills from this course throughout your gym career! Learn how to properly warm up, spot someone, and perform standard lifts with great form. Members get a half off discount and can use this link to register.
On a level of 1-10, can you rate your Health Anxiety?: Is Our Obsession With Health Data Making Us Crazy? (Time Magazine)
My take? I LOVE data. But data is a tool. If your tool doesn’t work or causes you more harm than good, then don’t use the tool. (Also, the YouAte app looks great for those tired of tracking calories but still want to be mindful of their eating.)
0:00 – 12:00
Run to Sessions 1x
12:00 – 25:00
Overhead lockout position:
Quarter Getup – Transition to Half Kneeling Windmill – Half Kneeling Windmill press
– focus on using lats to keep the head of the arm bone packed in your shoulder socket as you brace off the floor and as you press with the other arm
25:00 – 35:00
Kettlebell Snatch Technique Practice
5/5 One Arm Swing
5/5 One Arm High Pull
5/5 Snatch (or Half-Snatch: recover down to the shoulder before hiking the bell for the next rep if the drop from overhead is too much)
(35:00 – 60:00)
25 Minutes E5MOM (5 rounds)
10/10 Kettlebell Snatches (can break up reps however you want, just get 10 per arm)
200 yd Run
L4 – 24/18, Chest to Bar
L3 – 22/16, Chest to Bar
L2 – sub dumbbell snatch or 1-arm swings if you can’t kettlebell snatch
Each round should be close to as fast as possible, with the goal of having 2+ minutes of recovery.
200 yd Run
20 Two hand Kettlebell Swings (or 10/10 Single Arm)
10 Ring Rows