Schedule Change: Next Monday October 8, our new pm schedule goes into effect. The gym will be open at 5pm, but the new class times are at 530pm and 630pm.
Weightlifting 101/102: Lyndzey will be back coaching an olympic lifting seminar on Tuesday starting October 16th. This will be snatch and clean & jerk specific training under Lyndzey’s watchful eye. There will be a 7pm option for experienced lifters. Level 0/1 (or if you’re new to the barbell) will have a 6pm class option. More details coming soon!
#digitaldetox: From watches that ping when you get a new text to Insta feeds you can’t get enough of (I mean, have you SEEN @mvmntgym’s sweet posts?!), there’s no denying that we’re freakin’ plugged in like woah. Sure multitasking is easier, but there are some serious drawbacks. We get a lot of quick, pleasurable experiences through our devices, but those experiences can be addictive. Put down your phone and lengthen your attention span by trying out these detox tips (without completely going off the grid).
1. Turn off push notifications. “If you’re allowing yourself to get interrupted 5 times in a half an hour, you’re never actually focused in that time,” says Jesse Fox, PhD. head of OSU’s VECTOR Lab. One easy fix is to turn off as many notifications as you can live without.
2. Convert to black and white. Sometimes our phones are just so … VIBRANT. Go retro and see if your smartphone allows you to change your display to grayscale.
3. Put away your phone during meals. If you’re just waiting for your phone to lighten up at a restaurant, then are you fully present with your meal companion? I’m guessing not.
4. Make your bed a no-tech zone. If you’re getting cozy with your phone in bed, it’s less likely you’re getting cozy with your partner. Also, our screens’ blue light tricks our brains into thinking it’s daylight, which makes it harder to fall asleep.
5. Rediscover paper. Books are fun! Graphic novels are fun! Who knows the difficulty of folding up a newspaper? Try it out, it’s also fun!
6. Limit yourself to one screen at a time. Your concentration will thank you for it. How can you fully concentrate on 90 Day Fiance when your Instagram feed is so interesting at the moment?
7. “Check out my Dumbphone.” Can you use your phone just for emailing, texting, and calling? Hellloooooo, 2001.
At the end of the day, our phones and social media should make us feel like 😁 and not like 💩. So find that happy medium. Dont be afraid to block, mute, unfollow, or delete until you made a list of connections who make you laugh, smile, and fill up with happiness.
0:00 – 5:00
Jump Rope 3 minutes
5:00 – 12:00
12:00 – 22:00
Kettlebell Around the World Drills:
Slingshot to Catch
Tactical Clean to Rotating Press
22:00 – 42:00
22:00 – 37:00 (15 minutes)
Work up to a heavy set of 5
Start at about 50% and work up as heavy as you can with absolutely perfect form within the time limit.
37:00 – 42:00
5 Deadlifts at 80% of your heavy set for the day
E4MOM (~5 sets but take your time!)
Do not rush the movements, focus on quality. Start light and add weight on the Deadlifts.
8 Double Kettlebell Suitcase Deadlifts
10 Alternating Downdog Scorpion Kick to Dancer’s Bridge
10 Slow Eccentric Supine Ring Rows (3 count negative)
42:00 – 50:00
Movement Practice and Workout Setup
50:00 – 60:00
“Bad Body Language”
10 minutes AMRAP
10 Alternating Snatches (swing to switch hands or if you know the tactical snatch, try that instead)
10 Lateral Hop Burpees (jump over the bell)
L4 – 24/18
L3 – 22/16
L2 – no rx weight
20 Alternating Swings (try to work on hand-over-hand switch)
10 Lateral Hop Burpees (jump laterally over a line on the floor)